Friday 1 April 2016

Comment from a Peugeot 508 GT Owner

So here's my thoughts as a new 508 owner.
First off, I bought this car without ever sitting in one, let alone driving it! Crazy maybe? Well I did plenty of reading beforehand and it was almost all good. I am also a firm believer in the adage that "if it looks right, it is right"...





Looks


The 508 is a really good looking and elegant car with its sweeping lines and chrome detailing. With the GT model I think the bigger wheels suit the car perfectly too. In a market where many cars are much of a muchness, I think the 508 really stands out from the crowd and looks special.




Build quality


All I can say is "it feels German." That's a pretty good compliment, right?! You get a very reassuring thud when you shut the door which reminds me of an Audi. Peugeot has definitely upped the ante here from days gone by. Mind you, it won't stop the French haters of course...




Interior and comfort


Very comfortable place to be with more gadgets than you can shake a stick at, and they all still work!  I am 6'4 so can find some cars awkward to get used to, but the seat adjusts really well, in particular it sinks down very low which is perfect for me. The JBL stereo is very good and the centre screen + dials etc have a very high quality feel about them. The driving position is flawless.




General observations


I know I've just posted questioning the MPG, but I did buy the top of the range model with the 204 BHP 2.2 engine. The torque produced is enough to pull a house down and is VERY impressive coming from a normally aspirated, high revving 2.0 litre petrol engine in a RenaultSport Clio. It's effortless performance right in the powerband where you need it. I've also noticed the gearing is perfect for motorway cruising; very low revs at 70-80 MPH.


Another huge plus for me is the steering feel. The steering is nicely weighted and reminds me of older Peugeots where they really were good drivers' cars. I guess the ride is a bit stiffer in the GT compared to others in the range, but overall it strikes a good balance between handling and comfort....
So, all in all I am mightily impressed with this car after 3 weeks of ownership....

Anyway, they are some of my thoughts so far on ownership. I have to say this car has renewed my love for the Peugeot brand!


*The above comment was extracted from Peugeot Forums.

No comments:

Post a Comment